First Impression: This shoe is an awesome and versatile option. The low profile, light weight and short heel-toe drop jump off the bat immediately, which makes it ideal for faster tempo runs, workouts, or also cross-training and lifting at the gym.
Fit: Saucony’s classic FORMFIT upper hugs your foot quite nicely, and provides a sleek and snug fit. It has a respectable amount of room in the toe box as well, and generally runs true to size both length and width-wise.
Performance: This shoe is great for longer efforts that call for a lightweight performance. The PWRRUN PB material is the same foam used in Saucony’s high-end speed shoes the Endorphin Pro and Endorphin Speed, so the shoe is pretty bouncy considering its low stack height. I would describe the cushioning as “dense”. Despite the low profile and light weight, it packs a lot of cushion into a small platform and remains highly responsive. This isn’t exactly a “soft” shoe, but the firmer responsiveness feels nice when trying to pick up the pace a bit. The Freedom is also a great choice for the Gym. The 4mm drop makes it suitable to lift in, so this is a great do-it-all shoe for someone wanting a performance running shoe that doubles as a cross-trainer. The low profile and light weight make it a solid option for HIIT or Cardio at the Gym as well. With these impressive credentials, I would consider the Freedom to be one of the most versatile shoes on the wall.
Tech Specs/ Talking Points:
- PWRRUNPB- Saucony’s Top Tier Foam. Used in Performance Racing Shoes, Tuned for a Daily Trainer. Lightweight. Bouncy. Responsive.
- FORMFIT – Saucony’s Upper Technology that really hugs your foot and provides a nice secure fit.
- 4mm Drop – The Low Profile makes it easier to overcome heel striking and also makes the shoe a solid choice to lift in.
- Altra Escalante
- The Freedom is not nearly as wide as the Escalante, but the FORMFIT provides a snug upper and the small drop perhaps make it a bit more suitable as a true running shoe.
- Under Armour FLOW Velociti Wind
- The Freedom is significantly bouncier and more responsive than this option from Under Armour, but has a similar feeling upper and low profile.
Who is this shoe right for?: Anyone looking for a lightweight, responsive option that can perform at a high level on the roads or the gym. The Freedom is one of my personal favorites, and is one of the most versatile options on the market.
Shop Men’s: https://shop.manhattanrunningco.com/m-freedom-4
Shop Women’s: https://shop.manhattanrunningco.com/w-freedom-4